Whether you want to view it as a high-end preamplifier with a built in magnificent DAC or a Converter with 4 extra analog inputs is up to you. It starts with 4 digital inputs spanning the AES/EBU, SPDIF, Toslink and ST formats. February 2002 brought us a new 24 bit 96KHz digital to analog converter board designed by Fred Forssell. We merged this new DAC with an improved tube stage and added two analog balanced AND two unbalanced inputs. Outboard power supply too. Three sets of outputs and a processor loop are also all switchable from the front panel AND (big news...) REMOTE CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!! MANLEY's first piece with remote control is a total "over-killer" The *entire* faceplate can also be operated by the remote, especially and finally including the volume control.
The WAVE is a unique product combining a killer 24/96 Digital to Analog Converter with a full-featured audiophile analog vacuum tube preamplifier. It is one of the very few products equally at home as the heart of a professional Mastering studio facility as it is as the centerpiece of an audiophile home system. The combination of features and functions came about from analyzing existing systems and finding them functional but lacking in elegance in signal flow, operational convenience, and synergy. We set out to build something we wanted in our own living rooms, something that could be upgraded as new standards evolved, and something that could be flexible to work with mixed balanced, unbalanced, analog, and digital connections. A swiss army knife of sorts...
The digital board used in the first generation units, (the "First Waves" as it were) was designed around the ULTRAANALOG 20-bit DACs, the AES-21 jitter reduction input module, and the Pacific Microsonics HDCD decoder. This chipset ruled the 1990's audiophile digital world. In early 2002 we commissioned an excellent 24 bit, 96KHz DAC board design from talented designer Fred Forssell for the second generation units, in current production as of this writing. The WAVE accepts four digital inputs in the following formats: AES, SPDIF, TOSLINK, and ST Glass Fiber. The four analog inputs come as stock 2 RCA + 2 XLR. Other configurations can be custom-ordered as desired. To provide extra flexibility in system integration, we have included an Insert Loop (term borrowed from the recording studio world) perhaps more commonly referred to as a Tape Loop or Processor Loop in Audiophile-land. Three outputs are provided: outputs 2 and 3 can be switched; output 1 is always on.
Rear View of The WAVE and PSU
WAVE DAC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER COMBO
- 24 Bit 96KHz Digital to Analog Converter Board
- Totally DUAL MONO design
- Vacuum tube output stage (2 x 12AX7EH, 2 x 7044 or 5687 JAN NOS USA)
- BALANCED and UNBALANCED outputs x 3
- BALANCED and UNBALANCED analog inputs x 4
- Motorized ALPS quad-attenuator volume control
- 4 x switchable digital inputs AES, SPDIF, ST, Toslink
- 1 x SPDIF digital output pass-through
- 4 x switchable ANALOG inputs balanced & unbalanced
- Tape/Processor Loop = INSERT SEND & RECEIVE on unblanced RCA jacks as standard, balanced XLR's by request
- Remote Control controls the whole faceplate
- Separate outboard Power Supply Unit
- Outboard Power Supply is factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation
- for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage: 120 to 240VAC operation changeable with power transformer re-wiring via internal switch and fuse value change. 100VAC operation changeover achieved via rewiring of power transformer PCB.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Mains Fuse Value: 1.5A SLO-BLO for 100 or 120V operation
- Mains Fuse Value: 0.75A SLO-BLO for 220V-240V operation
- Power consumption: 0.8A @ 120V = 96 watts
- Dimensions: 19" W x 5.25" H x 13" D
- Unit Weight: WAVE = 23 lbs.; PSU = 15 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 49 lbs.
INPUT / OUTPUT
- 4 x DIGITAL INPUTS: AES/EBU, S/PDIF, TOSLINK, ST (AT&T GLASS) (Comes standard with one of each type input. These can be changed on special order upon request.)
- 1 x DIGITAL OUTPUTS: S/PDIF follows AES or SPDIF digital input selection
- 4 x Stereo ANALOG INPUTS: (standard: 2 x stereo unbalanced RCA,2 x stereo balanced XLR)
- INSERT SEND and RETURN (Tape processor loop) Available balanced XLR or Unbalanced RCA With analog inputs UNITY GAIN (direct connected via relays)
- 3 x Stereo ANALOG OUTPUTS: (standard: 2 x stereo unbalanced RCA, 1 x balanced XLR) (Output 1 is always on. You can toggle between outputs 2 and 3 or switch both on at the same time with jumper setting)
- Reference level to digital full scale: With digital -14 (CD consumer setting); With digital -20 (Pro Studio Reference Setting)
REMOTE CONTROL RANGE MEASUREMENTS
If the remote is closer than 9 feet, the maximum angle response is around 60 to 75 degrees which is the counter sink angle of the receiver's hole in the front panel. Measurements done with new set of batteries.
- Distance of 9-10 ft, the maximum angle is 65-75 degrees.
- Distance of 12 ft, the maximum angle is 60 degrees.
- Distance of 13 ft, the maximum angle is 45-55 degrees.
- Distance of 16 ft, the maximum angle is 45 degrees.
- Distance of 20 ft, the maximum angle is 25-35 degrees.
- Distance of 25-27 ft, the maximum angle is 0-15 degrees. This is the maximum distance-angle the remote will do.
- Burr-Brown PCM1704 D-A converters operating at 96 KHz at all times
- All inputs below 96 KHz are upsampled to 96 KHz before conversion
- The upsampled output is clocked out via a Low Phase Noise/Low Jitter precision crystal oscillator to eliminate any interface jitter or timing problems with the incoming datastream
- Multiple power supplies are used, with additional regulation and filtering located at all critical components
- Differential Passive LC filtering is used on the voltage output of the DAC PCB
- High Speed JFET Current to Voltage Conversion with differential output is used to drive the Passive LC Filter
- It will wash your car, clean your windows, make coffee and sound good all at the same time...
- ALL-TUBE BALANCED LINE AMPLIFIER using 2 x 12AX7 plus 2 x 7044 or 5687 dual triodes
- BALANCED I/O and UNBALANCED I/O
- INPUT SENSITIVITY: 494mV (-3.9dBu) yields 1V out
- MAXIMUM INPUT LEVEL: 9.75Vrms produces 19.86V on output at 1KHz before clipping +22dBu produces +28.18dBu on output at 1KHz before clipping
- MAXIMUM GAIN: 12 dB
- MAXIMUM OUTPUT: +30 dBu, 25 V rms (70V P-P) (+31dbu @ 1.5% THD)
- +8.25 dBu digital full scale (2.0 V Rms)
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20 Hz to 20 kHz ±.5 dB 8 Hz to 45 kHz ±3 dB
- THD+N: 0.015% 20Hz - 20KHz bandwidth
- NOISE FLOOR -88 db (20 Hz - 20 kHz) (-90 A-Weight)
- S/N 120 dB analog (96 db digital)
- L/R Volume Control Matching .2 dB (from -50 to max)
- MOTORIZED ATTENUATOR WITH FULL REMOTE CONTROL
- EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY
- DIGITAL PHASE / POLARITY SWITCH,
- INSERT FOR TAPE MONITOR, PROCESSOR LOOP, ETC.
- MANUAL MUTE, WARM-UP MUTE & STANDBY MODES.
- "Manley Blue" anodized 3/8" thick by 19" FRONT PANEL, 18 BLUE LEDS
- UPGRADEABLE DIGITAL BOARD
- MANY CUSTOM OPTIONS AVAILABLE INCLUDING: ANY COMBINATIONS OF BALANCED AND UNBALANCED I/O, OR ANY COMBINATION OF DIGITAL INPUT TYPES. (Expect extra NRE charges for anything involving custom silk-screening of faceplate) INSERT MOD FOR SURROUND PROCESSORS (RETURN POST LINE AMP)
Specifications subject to change because they just might.
Upgrading to the 24/96 version from the older 20 Bit Version
If you have the older 20 Bit UltraAnalog DAC version and you want to UPGRADE to the newer 24/96 version, contact Manley Tech Support.