Set it and forget it! Our ELOP® Limiters make your job easy. The principle of operation is based around using a rectified sample of the audio to shine an LED (Light Emitting Diode) onto an LDR (Light Dependent Resistor). The photo-resistor in combination with a fixed resistor simply act as a changing voltage divider to attenuate the signal-- like a smart volume control. A similar principle was found in the older **Teletronix & Urei **LA-2A, LA-3, and LA-4 units which used a slower electro-luminescent panel-light on a conventional LDR encased in a light-tight enclosure. Ours uses modern VACTROL technology (but with a trick!) for exact sample-to-sample tracking and no high frequency loss while digging deep into limiting-- problems commonly associated with older LA-series limiters and other opto-based units.
The audio signal passes only through our super-clean single-ended vacuum tube line amplifiers in the Manley unit, and through all-discrete Class A amplifiers in the Langevin version. Each channel can be run separately or switched to stereo - link . Due to their inherently quick attack, these Electro-Optical Limiters are skilled soldiers for tracking vocals or individual instruments, although now with the addition of a very useful sidechain high-pass filter that can switch between 100Hz or 200Hz (or OUT) to allow the limiter to ignore heavy bass lines, the ELOP® limiter is proving more useful for modern urban music where you dont want the limiter only responding to the loudest thing i.e., the BIG bass. If you want the bass line to leave the rest of the mix alone, then this switch is for you !
- ALL-TUBE audio path 12AU7WA + 6414 per ch.
- Unbalanced 1/4" Inputs And Outputs and...
- Balanced Transformer Coupled XLR Inputs And Outputs
- Hi-current drive <50 Ohm 1/4" & XLR outputs
- Silent conductive plastic INPUT attenuators
- Max. GAIN REDUCTION 22dB
- ATTACK time: 10mS for 6dB GR
- RELEASE: 2.5 Seconds for 6dB GR
- Maximum Input (Bypass through Line Amplifier) +30 dBv (with Limit "IN" the maximum is entirely variable)
- Maximum Output +30 dBv
- Headroom (referenced to +4 dBv) 26 dB
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 70 kHz ±0.5 dB
- BYPASS switches and AUTOMUTE w/warmup delay
- Large ILLUMINATED Sifam VU METERS (older units before serial number MELOPB716 shipped before 6/2003 use: 26V 1.2W FESTOON LAMPS; Manley's Part Number: VAR016B) Order spare bulbs using our parts order form. (newest units after serial number MELOPB716 shipped after 6/2003 use yellow LED lighting)
- Meters switch to read OUTPUT or REDUCTION
- STEREO LINK
- Side-Chain High-Pass Filter 100Hz or 200Hz
- THD & Noise (1kHz @ +4 dBm): .015%
- Noise Floor (Gain set to minimum): -80 dB Wideband
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 126 dB typical
- Maximum gain: 15 dB
- Power consumption: 40 watts
- Operating mains voltage: Units are purpose built for original destination country's mains voltage: 100V, 120V, or 220-240VAC as indicated on the serial number badge. Power transformer must be replaced in order to change mains operating voltage. 120VAC units may NOT be rewired to put the primaries of the power transformer in series for 220-240V operation or a large radiated field of hum will develop. If changing locations/voltages, the power transformer must be replaced with the dedicated one for the voltage at which it will operate.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Dimensions: 19" x 3 1/2" x 10" (occupies 2u)
- Shipping weight: 16 lbs.
Specifications subject to change because they just might.
Oldest Black Faced Units Serial Code MANOPTO### also use the older manual above.
Serial codes MANELOPB### are older version PCB with balanced I/O added. Have a look at old and new manuals.
My meter lamps burned out. How do I get replacements?
Older units before serial number MELOPB716 shipped before 6/2003 use: 26V 1.2W FESTOON LAMPS; Manley's Part Number: VAR016B. Order these spare bulbs using our parts order form. Newest units after serial number MELOPB716 shipped after 6/2003 use yellow LED lighting and those shouldn't burn out. You can get in touch with Paul in our service department and upgrade your older unit to yellow LED lighting for $25 bucks.
The first Manley Electro-Optical Limiters were built back at the VTL factory and had green printed circuit boards and black billet chassis and faceplates. These units carried a serial number prefix of MANOPTO###. The oldest Manley Blue faced units in our standard extruded sides chassis with perforated top and bottom covers built prior to 1997 with serial codes MANELOP### were unbalanced I/O only. Serial codes MELOPB### are units with the Manley input and output transformers, although you still can use the transformerless inputs and outputs if you use the 1/4" TRS jacks.
In October 2000 after unit MELOP565 we ditched the superfluous "balance control" and put the handy side chain filter in its place. October 2004 the engraving is changing to reflect this product's official new name: MANLEY ELOP® (registered trademark).
On the right is an older black-faced first version produced 1991-1993.
**LA-2A and TELETRONIX are registered trademarks belonging to William Putnam.
ELOP® is a registered trademark of Manley Laboratories, Inc.